“Ready for Rails” Ruby Workshop
The goal of the workshop is to provide each participant with a solid Ruby foundation, that will support and enhance their later learning of, understanding of, and ability to leverage Rails. Beyond the basics, the course spotlights the features of Ruby that give it its distinct power. Note: the course does not cover Rails, but instead covers Ruby to prepare the participant for learning Rails.
Participants should already be comfortable with one high-level programming language, such as Java, C#, C++, C, Python, Perl, etc.
- Introduction and History (very brief)
- Language Basics
- Ruby Development Tool Set
- Console I/O
- String Type and Operations
- Numeric Types and Mathematical Expressions
- Boolean Expressions
- Conditional Constructs
- Loop Constructs
- Code Blocks
- Regular Expressions
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Classes, Attributes, Methods
- Access Control
- Class Variables and Methods
- Using Modules to define name-spaces
- Global Variables and Constants
- Formatted Textual Output
- Leveraging Libraries
- RubyForge and RubyGems
Each participant receives:
- A comprehensive course book containing all workshop slides (over 400).
- A CD containing workshop examples, exercise solutions, and other tools and reference materials as allowed by license.
- A certificate of completion