Advantages of Ruby on Rails
Powerful and Simple
Ruby on Rails (or more simply, Rails) is the web development framework that questioned prior assumptions and opened up a new way to create web applications that emphasized simplicity and productivity.
Developing in Rails means:
- a lot less code
- a lot less configuration data
- bringing up basic functionality quickly
- building out new functionality incrementally
- integrated testing
There are three principles behind Rails:
- Don't repeat yourself! (abbreviated DRY): every element of the web application has its specific place and doesn't have to be repeated multiple times across files.
- Convention over configuration: by using practical conventions, most configuration data can be eliminated (however the conventions can be overridden with configuration when necessary).
- Quick turn-around time: by providing an integrated web server and an interpreted language, the results of code modifications can be seen immediately, thereby minimizing the code-debug cycle (with no additional compile step).